Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Great Writing

So for an english project I wrote a great short paper, here it is:


The shaky hands of my grandmother as I help her out of her car. Turing to help her up my front steps, and getting her into the house. The warmth coming from inside; where my mom makes turkey and sausage stuffing. Hugging her and then my grandfather. The dry kisses from the lips to my cheek, and the way that grandpa’s hugs only go half way around. My aunts and uncles most with my last name hunt for pickles and olives and pre-dinner drinks. The first bite of the turkey straight from the oven, and how my mom only lets me have the succulent piece. The yelling of my mom as she prepares us for the feast. The soft prayer that my grandmother insists on, and how most of us have broken the cardinal rule. The roar of the post dinner football game as my dad cheers on his team. The cold pumpkin pie that’s been kept outside since that morning. All of these sensations come to me at one of my favorite times of the year. The traditions of my family have been the same in years past and I am assured they will never change.

1 comment:

maria said...

wow. girl, I am proud of you! I totally love thanksgiving too. I love how you pointed out all the "warmth" the day gives you. From your grandma's hands to the warm turkey.
nice. now I want some pumpkin pie.